An Accidental Discovery may Significantly Improve Rehabilitation Outcomes for Neurological, Psychiatric and Autoimmune Conditions.
First Case Study:
Helping a Stroke Survivor Recover 100% Mobility (from 5%) in 8 Weeks.
When I was about 75% complete, her arm began wheeling through the air, and her leg bucked off the table repeatedly -INVOLUNTARILY- with 100% range of motion until I released the points.
I almost jumped out of my seat!
But, she was smiling like the Mona Lisa and, when I asked if she was okay, she happily exclaimed, "Oh yeah!"
Her mobility increased with each weekly session until...
...she recovered 100% mobility in 8 weeks.
...no teacher, book or practitioner mentioned it could yield results like this!
When the same thing happened again, the PT looked startled as she paced around the table, looking under it from all angles. After the session, she looked bewildered and said she thought my client was hooked up to electrodes and we were pranking her!
She brought a doctor colleague to the 3rd session to see if he could explain this. Seeing the same as we did before, he tried to play it cool, but it was obvious he was uncomfortably baffled. Their reactions vividly illustrated how all their education, training and experience, working with countless stroke patients for decades, gave them no frame of reference to understand what they witnessed -and how critically limited Western Medicine can be.
Her Neurologist was equally astounded and had no explantion to offer either.
- A Scientist at heart, I wanted to see results using the same protocol with other stroke patients across variables including:
- Age at Stroke, Stroke Type, Symptom(s) Severity, Time Since Stroke, Other Medical Conditions, Diet, Exercise, Lifestyle, Background, etc.
- Given the profound implications of my initial results (see Global Human & Economic Costs below), I was shocked to find no support from Stroke centers, Neurology offices, etc. in reaching other Stroke Survivors.
- Then, life derailed me until February 2022; and I immediately returned to pursuing my investigation. In 21 years, I found only two Jin Shin studies. This highlights how Jin Shin has remained overlooked by research worldwide.
- Only one of those studies, by Dr. Theresa Hernandez, were for stroke recovery. While it showed improved heart rate in subjects, it didn't affect mobility.
- To date, I have yet to find anyone who can explain this phenomenon other than TCM practitioners, who regularly see similiar results in their practice... but not quite like mine.
Despite 5,000 years of history, Chinese Medicine remains controversial because...
"...studies have not fully explained how acupuncture works within the framework of Western medicine."
"Acupuncture ...is widely used to improve motor, sensation, speech, and other neurological functions in patients with stroke."
"Combining acupressure with a task-related training program is safe and effective in improving the lower limb motor function of an individual 5 years post stroke."
"Acupuncture is found effective for the treatment of paralysis caused by a stroke."
"Acupuncture therapy seems effective for motor function, pain relief and activities of daily living in stroke patients with mild SHS, when it is used in combination with rehabilitation."
"Acupuncture treatment of insomnia is efficacious, not because of its placebo effect."
"National Institutes of Health (NIH) studies have shown that acupuncture IS* an effective treatment alone or in combination with conventional therapies to treat the following:
- • Nausea caused by surgical anesthesia and cancer chemotherapy
- • Dental pain after surgery
- • Addiction
- • Headaches
- • Menstrual cramps
- • Tennis elbow
- • Fibromyalgia
- • Myofascial pain
- • Osteoarthritis
- • Low back pain
- • Carpal tunnel syndrome
- • Asthma
...It may also help with stroke rehabilitation."
"Science is not simple, and neither is the natural world; therein lies the challenge of science communication. What we do is both hard and, often, hard to explain. Our efforts to understand and characterize the natural world are just that: efforts."
Four reasons why my method yielded such extraordinary results may be:
"...the efficacy of acupuncture relies on who administers it; likewise, the efficacy of Qigong depends on who teaches it. If you don’t meet a good acupuncturist or high-level Qigong master, it takes longer to unblock the meridians and allow the flow of vital energy through these invisible pathways."
Global Human & Economic Costs
The human and economic costs of stroke are profound:
* Only 10% of stroke survivors fully recover.
* 25% have minor impairments.
* 40% have moderate impairments that are manageable with special care.
* 15% - 30% are permanently disabled.
* over 30 million people worldwide suffer the indignities and trauma of stroke. * More than 6 million people die each year from stroke. * 159,150 Americans died from stroke in 2020. * There are 795,000 NEW stroke patients EVERY year in the U.S. alone, and rising 2% every year. * About 34% of total global healthcare expenditures are spent on stroke. * The average lifetime healthcare costs across all stroke types is $236,165. This costs Americans over $187B per year in stroke rehab, and over $7 TRILLION globally!
Improving stroke recovery time by even 1% would
save the U.S. over $1.8B and $70.8B annually worldwide!
Other Neurological Diseases
The 9 most common neurological diseases costing America alone over $936 billion per year are:
~60,000 new Parkinson's Disease (PD) cases each year + over 10 million people living with PD worldwide. At least 50 million people worldwide have Epilepsy. ~ 47.5 million have Dementia, with 7.7 million new cases diagnosed each year. ~500,000 new cases of Alzheimer's Disease are diagnosed in the U.S. each year.
Diabetes added $1.3 trillion to the global economic burden in 2015 and is expected to add $2.1 trillion by 2030.
A Universal CAUSE
More than 50% of ALL deaths have been attributed to inflammation-related diseases.
Poor diet is the primary cause of Chronic Systemic Inflammation (CSI).
Resolving poor diet is infamously confounded by the biofeedback loop between the body, brain and behavior.
A Universal METHOD with WIDE Applications
"The Meridian is that which decides over life and death.
Through it the hundred diseases may be treated."
- The Yellow Emperor
Jiayijing, Vol. 2, Ch. 1a
Traumatic Brain Injury, Spinal Cord Injury*... ADHD, Alzheimer's, Dementia, Epilepsy, MS, Parkinson's, Auto-Immune Disorders...
Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression, PTSD, and Schizophrenia. TCM methods have proven to remarkably improve most of these conditions, especially when combined with Good Nutrition, Regular Exercise, Massage Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Psychotherapy.
* "Being a relatively simple, inexpensive, and safe treatment, acupuncture has been widely used to help the recovery of motor and sensory function after SCI. Acupuncture not only results in functional improvements but also aids neural restoration. ...given the evidence for the efficacy of acupuncture, we recommend that physicians should support the use of acupuncture therapy for SCI complications."
The following factors will be considered in the study design:
* Comorbidities * Lifestyle
* Career & Income
Data will be compared between a minimum of 32 subjects, with at least 2 subjects presenting similar conditions and demographic factors, and 2 with significantly different conditions and demographic factors, in each of the following experimental plans:
2) Sham Jin Shin
3) Experimental Jin Shin + Tui Na
4) Sham Jin Shin + Tui Na
6) Sham Acupuncture
7) Experimental Acupuncture + Tui Na
8) Sham Acupuncture + Tui Na